|Born||Yolanda Morazzo Lopes da Silva
16 December 1927
São Vicente, Cape Verde
|Died||27 January 2009
Yolanda Morazzo Lopes da Silva (16 December 1927 – 27 January 2009) was a Portuguese-language writer as well as a poet.
Yolanda Morazzo was born on the island of São Vicente, Cape Verde at the time under Portuguese colonial rule, one of her parents was not Cape Verdean. She was the granddaughter of the poet José Lopes da Silva, the greatest poet of the mid-20th century in Cape Verde and one of the greatest of all time.
She graduated with a high degree in French and French Modern Literature, at the Alliance Française, and English at the British Institute. She published her first poem in 1954. She headed to Angola in 1958 with her husband during the time of the colonial war, she also visited in 1968, for some time, she worked at the Yugoslavian embassy. After independence in Cape Verde as well as Angola, she published a book titled Cantico de ferro: Poesua de Intervenção, the Iron Canticles: Poetry on Intervention in 1976.
Her work appeared in Maria M. Ellen's Across the Atlantic: An Anthology of Cape Verdean Literature.
One of her last poems were published in 2004. Later her poem collection titled Complete Poems: 1954-2004 spanning 50 years of her poetic career, it was published by Imprensa Nacional-Casa da Moeda in 2006.
In other media
Her poem "Barcos" can be found on the CD Poesia de Cabo Verde e Sete Poemas de Sebastião da Gama by Afonso Dias
- Cantico de ferro: Poesia de Intervenção [The Iron Canticles: Poetry of Intervention] (Edições Petra, 1976). OCLC 46568357
- Poesia completa: 1954-2004. [Complete Poetry: 1954-2004] Imprensa Nacional-Casa da Moeda, 2006. ISBN 978-972-27-1438-9. OCLC 799527623
- Gerald M. Moser, Changing Africa: The First Literary Generation of Independent Cape Verde, 24.
- "Yolanda Morazzo LOPES DA SILVA". Barrosbrito.com. Retrieved 13 October 2016.
- Maria M. Ellen, "Across the Atlantic: An Anthology of Cape Verdean Literature," 75.
- "Morreu Yolanda Morazzo". A Semana (in Portuguese). 29 January 2009.
- "Literatura : Morreu Yolanda Morazzo".
- "Objectos do quotidiano de Cabo Verde mostram-se em Lisboa na "Casa Fernando Pessoa". A Semana. 25 June 2007.
|This article about a Cape Verdean writer or poet is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|