Goodwood, South Australia
Adelaide, South Australia
|Population||2,810 (2011 census)|
|Location||3 km (2 mi) from Adelaide|
|LGA(s)||City of Unley|
Goodwood is an inner southern suburb of the city of Adelaide. It neighbours the Royal Adelaide Showgrounds and features several churches in its commercial district. Its major precinct is Goodwood Road, which is home to many shops and businesses, as well as the local state school (Goodwood Primary School).
The original land surveyed of 1839 was granted to the South Australian Company and named Goodwood. Two other sections of land had been sold to settler Thomas Hardy in May 1838, who sold it to his son, Arthur in 1841. The 1840 census shows that there was a Village of Goodwood with a population of 100, but the first registration of a contact for sale was not until 1846. In 1849, Arthur Hardy subdivided his property into a number of four acre blocks, naming it Goodwood Park. The Belair railway line also goes through the suburb as does the city to Glenelg tram line.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (31 October 2012). "Goodwood (State Suburb)". 2011 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 5 October 2016.
- "How Unley Developed". City of Unley. Archived from the original on 27 December 2008. Retrieved 19 February 2009.
- "The Manning Index of South Australian History". Retrieved 14 November 2009.
|This article about a place in Adelaide is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|